The proliferation of AI generated content (AIGC) has made it necessary to consider how and to what extent it is being used in the creation of content. Very soon, we will be asking ourselves not only if AI was used to generate content, but also how and to what extent it was used.
To address this, I propose the creation of the BW-AI Score, a scale that measures the involvement of AI in the creation of content, with “B” representing “generated By AI” and “W” representing “generated With AI”. The scale ranges from 1 to 10, with 1 representing minimal use of AI (e.g. grammar and spelling checked by AI) and 10 representing complete generation of the content by AI. The scale can also be expressed in terms of percentages, with 50% representing the point at which more than half of the content was generated by AI.
See the example below for more detail:
- BW-AI 1 – 10% AI – e.g. grammar and spelling checked by AI
- BW-AI 2 – 20% AI – e.g. grammar and spelling checked by AI, title generated by AI
- BW-AI 3 – 30% AI – e.g. all the above and blurb/abstract/summary generated by AI
- BW-AI 4 – 40% AI – e.g. all the above and introduction and conclusion generated by AI
- BW-AI 5 – 50% of the content generated by AI
- BW-AI 6 – 60% AI – e.g. AI suggested the outline of the article/blog post in response to a prompt
- BW-AI 7 – 70% AI – e.g. all the above and more than 30% of the paragraphs written by AI
- BW-AI 8 – 80% AI – e.g. all the above and more than 60% of the paragraphs written by AI
- BW-AI 9 – 90% AI – e.g. all the above and more than 90% of the paragraphs written by AI
- BW-AI 10 – 100% AI – Content entirely generated by AI
Universities could require students to use the BW-AI Score by inputting their final essays into an AI tool and receiving a score based on the above scale. This score would then need to be disclosed when submitting essays. Universities may also need to discuss what the highest acceptable score is for their institution, potentially setting the maximum at BW-AI 3.
The BW-AI Score could also be applied to other online content, such as blog posts, images, and videos.
Alternatively, the scale could be named the AZ-AI Scale, with “A” representing “All AI” and “Z” representing “Zero AI”. Regardless of the name, it is important to have a clear framework for understanding and disclosing the use of AI in content creation.
While you are here, please see what AI thinks about it and read the 100% AI-generated poem: “By AI or With AI?“
Text BW-AI Score: 1
Image BW-AI Score: 10